Tuesday 23 March 2010

The Curate writes…

Sons and Daughters of God

Have a read of Matthew’s take on the gospel, from the baptism of Jesus (Matthew 3:13) to the end of the first temptations (Matthew 4:11)

The bible wasn’t written with chapters and verses, they were added well over a thousand years later. Sometimes they can get in the way of the flow of things. Maybe this is such a case. Because directly after Jesus is Baptized, The Holy Spirit Comes on Jesus and a voice from heaven says to Jesus and those around ‘This is my beloved Son, and I am pleased with Him’.

40 days later, having been without food and water, so probably not at His best physically, the devil comes and says “If you are God’s Son…. It could have been the first words said to Jesus after Father had spoken from heaven

Now have a look at the same episode from Luke’s point of view. Its probably even stronger. First there is the baptism and the same voice from heaven, then directly after the long family tree bit, which is about Jesus being the Son of God, Jesus is tempted by the devil for 40 days – and then come the major ones. “If you are the Son of God…”

Jesus totally ignores that bit of the temptations. Doesn’t even mention it. No attention is given to it at all. He is the Son of God.

Christians also are God’s children. Its plastered all over scripture, not least in the core prayer “Our Father in heaven...”

I know a man who has a lovely habit for his children. When they are born, he holds them in his hands, looking at them with love and sings a little song which starts “I am your Dad…I love you…” At different times in their young lives he does it again. “I am your Dad…I love you…” He said recently of a time when one of his teenage sons was going through a rough time, he put his arm round him and sang “I am your Dad…I love you…” The young lad was embarrassed but peace settled on him, resonating with knowledge that goes way back in his life.

Tough times in life can be unsettling. Unemployment, or employment within troubled relationships, or employment with pressure of deadlines and targets, arguments with anybody, poor health. The list can go on. BUT none of these do anything to affect our identity. We are still Father God’s dearly loved children. Guess who is upset by that. The devil would like to see anything make you doubt that you are God’s dearly loved child.

One way of having peace return, the peace of Father God, is to dwell on scriptures that tell us of who we are, and what we are like, because of Jesus. I like that word dwell. It’s like a place to live and stay. The Holy Spirit gets in on it too, and puts deeply into our hearts Abba Father and feelings will follow the golden fact.

You’ll be able to find your own scriptures, but here are a few to dwell in, to think about, to take thoughts captive with, to live as a dearly loved child of God:
· My Father God is intimate and involved (Psalm 139:1-18)
· Accepting not rejecting (Romans 15:7)
· My Father God celebrates and sings over me and refreshes me with his love (Zeph 3:17)
· My Father God is with me (Hebrews 13:5)
· Jesus wants me to have a fulfilling life (John 10:10)
· Father gives me freedom even to fail and restores me (Luke 15:11-25)
· I have been chosen – and appointed to bear fruit (John 15:16)

You’ll discover more truths in those scriptures than I’ve mentioned. God has great plans for you and the bet is yet to come. Dwell in the truth and be peaceful. You’ll also have noticed that much of the scripture is about us as a people. So, if you are going through it (or not!) be especially determined to come to the services, to worship, to receive from Father God through the Body of Christ.

God Bless
Dave

No comments:

Post a Comment